{

Yet there is one further difficulty. If the cell had all its molecules arranged in the appropriate places who was going to start it working. Something or someone would have to act to get it functioning. 

Another quote: ‘the complex structure such as a living organism could be formed by chance without intelligent input has never been demonstrated in the laboratory or anywhere else. Given enough time, the naturalistic world view reasons, anything is at least possible.' The problem with this view is such that, aside from deliberate intelligent design, from what we know now, no matter what the conditions, time alone will not allow for the naturalistic construction of life. Evolutionist Stephen Jay Gould stated that even if evolutionary history on repeated itself a million times, he doubts whether anything like Homo sapiens would ever develop again.’Perhaps we are only here because intelligence operated.

Peter Medawar – the limits of science (1984): 'that there is indeed a limit upon science is made very likely by the existence of questions that science cannot answer, and that no conceivable advance of science would empower it to answer… I have in mind such questions as: how everything begins? What are all here for? What is the point of living?'

The Christian faith makes sense in itself and makes sense as a whole.

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else” (C S Lewis).

The whistling train is pulled by this understanding, and deserves to be understood and studied by non-Christian and Christian alike.

Genesis 1:26 - 2:1 (NKJV) Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, 

If we suggest that the first cell had 206 molecules and assume that the molecules that were collected at the beginning of the random  creative process were appropriate for production of that cell, which in reality would be highly probable, we could calculate possible chances of the first cell coalescing in a functional manner. So we go through a calculation that would be 1 x 2 x 3 x 4… x 206. The value is an extraordinary large number, approximately 10388. The number would be 10 followed by 388 zeros. If one trial took a second, you would not have enough time to achieve anything.  The current age of the earth is estimated as approximately 2.4 billion years. The comparison of the numbers would suggest very strongly that there is not enough time for a random evolutionary process to produce  a single exceeding simple single cell. That calculation would just put the 206 substances in a suitable order and not to make something that would work.

To the difficulty added above we have the issue that there are far more molecules in the first cell than 206 which was chosen because of it close proximity to the number of bones in the human body. As you add complexity to that first cell and the complexity of some of the essential molecules in the cell such as DNA, RNA, and many amino acids the issue of time to trial all the options become even larger that what is suggested above. (The above examples came from (in six days, edited by Ashton, published by New Holland.) As one scientist said in the above book it is easier to believe in God. 

A further concept that protruded itself and took my fancy was called the “Engineering principle”. It stated that anything that is produced needs to complete or it will not work. A cell without DNA will not function like a car without an alternator, battery or wheels. For the cell that had only 206 molecules or was deficiencient in other areas its ability to function would mortally damaged. 

God and The whistling Train Chapter 2 

In the last chapter we looked at the creation and we saw that the scriptures were written using terms that fall within the level of our comprehension; with words and pictures that were related to what the early listeners could understand. We also saw that behind these terms can be a complexity that belies understanding. When we talk about the Christian faith it is similar. There are simple ways of describing our faith but underneath there is a morass of information that will help us see its incredible nature. Most people do not put the time into the study and consequently do not see the full picture. For them some train carriages remain empty.

If you have managed to read thus far you may be worried by the fact that I assume the creation picture is correct,  nor have I explained its standing with the currently  accepted concept evolution.  In fact there have been comments expressed  that may be considered as critical. So before we look at the next chapter of Genesis I would like to discuss  some brief issues that may add to the pictures given so far. 

Over the years I have fluctuated in my view of the beginnings. However the more I read, the more doubtful I am of the plausibility of the Evolutionary scenario. The list of issues, that evolutionary supporters have to overcome is quite large. So below, I have given a précis of some of my favourite arguments. 

When we are talking something that ostensibly comes from nothing but a big bang you need to consider chance and probability. With such things  progress is just as likely going backward, even with the requirement of the ‘survival of the fittest’.  So the probability of something even beginning is a big jump of faith. Some of the difficulties are seen in the next  couple of scenarios.

An example would be the probability of drawing either10 white balls or 10 black balls out of a large box full of balls that contain equal numbers of black and white balls is five times out of 1 million! If we increase the number two 100 and draw out sets of 100 balls, the probability of drawing 100 black or 100 white balls in succession is now so low, as to be for all practical purposes impossible.

The next issue is why don’t we have to verify that God exists? The first verse opens with God being there.  Why is this so?  The key factor is that God reveals himself as a one and only and he presents himself to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph and the Hebrews in that manner. Throughout the Bible God presents himself positively as superior to anything else. The other so called gods are figments of man’s imagination, deities made by wood and stone. The pinnacle of the contrast is when Elijah so powerfully demonstrates the truth of the living reality of God on Mount Carmel. To the Israelites as a nation, in the dessert as they escaped from Egypt,  he appeared as a cloud through the day and a pillar of fire by night. Israel only moved when the cloud moved. So their experience of God was that he was singular and only. Moses experience, as the only person who came close to God, was that he was one and only. Finally those scientists that talk of terms of intelligence creating the universe; talk in terms of there being only one.